Pages

25 June, 2012

How do you know when you're successful?

How do you know when you're successful?
To me a Louis Vuitton Red Epi leather wallet is success. As soon as I could afford to buy one (without sending myself into debt) I would be able to look at the world and say "I've made it! I'm successful!"- holding my 'success wallet'.

My success wallet.
Six years ago my success arrived. But not how I thought.
  
I was on a snowboarding holiday in Japan, and like you do when you need a rest from snowboarding, I was shopping. Walking into each of the different little shops, not really knowing exactly what to expect. It was in one of these shops that I looked through the glass counter. I was shocked to see, here somewhere outside Tokyo my 'success wallet' was there looking back at me! 

I was on holidays. I was almost at the end of my trip. I had some money left over but would it be enough for my 'success wallet'?
Half arguing with a friend about why I couldn't buy it - I didn't believe I was "successful" so I tried to convince my friend of the lie that this was why I shouldn't buy it even though I could afford it.
The wallet is now mine - I bought it!

I had finally been able to buy one, a Louis Vuitton Red Epi leather wallet - my success wallet! I was ecstatic! Until a thought popped into my head. 

If I own my success wallet now (at 24) then does that mean I'm successful, already? 
It was the wallet I had dreamed about, the wallet that would tell the world I was successful. So. Yes! I was successful! I AM successful! 

Now the question is: as the first book I have published has broken-even, am I successful? 
You better believe it! 
Was I successful before this book broke-even? Yes. 
Was I successful before the book was even printed? Yes.

To me, success is a belief in yourself. It's a confidence that cannot be bought by things, not even by Louis Vuitton products. 
Success comes before you can buy the fancy car, house, suit or purse. It comes when you step out and start to become a better person - when you start to become the best you, you can be.

Are you working on becoming the best person you can be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment